Friday, June 8, 2012

Chapter 12: Sleeping Beauty


“No!” David heard himself yell in disbelief upon hearing the news. He felt his heart stop for a moment as he tried to understand what James had just told him.

“What? How?” he continued, struggling to comprehend.

“The plane. It skidded off the runway and she was one of the people hurt…I still can’t believe it."

“How is she? Where is she?” David asked frantically.

“She’s here at the hospital. She’s unconscious, with a severe concussion. They don’t know…” said James, choking back tears.

“I’m on my way,” David said. He slowly hung up the phone, still in shock.

“I’ve got to get to the hospital, please,” he said urgently to the cab driver.

David felt like his world had completely stopped. How can this be? he thought. Just minutes earlier he’d been dreaming of holding her in his arms. And now? There were no words. He put his head in his hands and began to pray.
                                                            _______________________
Rushing into the hospital waiting room David felt like he was in a fog. It all felt surreal, like a horrible nightmare. This can’t really be happening, he thought as he approached the lobby desk.

“I need to see Jasmine Curtis-Smith. What room is she in?” he asked the nurse urgently.

“Are you a family member?” she asked, with the coldness of someone who’d seen it all before.

“No, but…” David started.

“I’m sorry. Family only at this time,” she said matter-of-factly.

“But, you don’t understand. I have to see her,” David said desperately.

“Sir, I’m sorry. These are hospital rules,” she said unsympathetically.

Suddenly, a voice from behind him said, “Its okay. He’s with me.” David turned around. It was James.

“James! How is she? Can I see her?” he asked.

“She’s stable now, but still unconscious. At this point, it’s just a waiting game,” James said sadly, his eyes showing the worry he felt. 

“You can see her,” he said. “I’ll take you to her room.”

“Thank you,” David said, relieved.

As they got closer to Jasmine’s door, David noticed someone coming out of the room. It was the guy from the beach and the restaurant. What is he doing here, thought David, trying to suppress the feelings of jealousy that suddenly came flooding back.

“David, I’m not sure if you’ve met my nephew, Edgar,” James said as they arrived at Jasmine’s room.

 David was almost speechless. “Nephew?” he said incredulously. Staring at Edgar he asked, 

“You’re Jasmine’s cousin?”

“Yes. I’m staying with my uncle until I find my own place,” he said.

“Edgar will be attending UCLA in the fall,” said James.

David tried to overcome the shock that had taken hold of him. “Oh, I thought…” said David, still staring at Edgar. “I’m sorry…I’m David,” he said, shaking Edgar’s hand.

“Yes, I know,” said Edgar, smiling. “Jasmine told me a lot about you…”

“I still can’t believe it,” Edgar said after a brief pause. “I just saw her a few hours ago and now this.” His eyes started to tear up. “I’m sorry. Excuse me,” said Edgar, making his way quickly down the hall.

As he walked into the room, David wasn’t prepared for what he saw. His eyes filled with tears as he looked at Jasmine. Her head was bandaged and there were cuts and bruises all over her face and body. She looked so small, so fragile.

“It’s hard to see her this way. She’s so vibrant, so full of life…She’s got to pull through this,” said James sadly.

David could only nod. The reality of seeing her this way threatened to choke him and he felt like he could hardly breathe.

“I’ve got to step away for a moment. I’ll be back,” said James, struggling with his own emotions.

“Okay,” David managed to whisper.

For a moment he could only stare at her in painful disbelief. Then, sinking into the chair beside her bed, he took her hand in his. 

“Oh, Jasmine, I’m so sorry,” he said softly, unable to stop the flood of tears that ran down his face. “I’m so sorry this happened to you.” 

Why did I wait so long, he asked himself in anguish. So much time wasted! Why didn’t I tell her how I felt when I had the chance? Would he ever have the chance? He was filled with painful regret.

“I love you, Jasmine. Please come back to me,” he pleaded through his tears. He couldn’t bear the thought of losing her. “I need you.”  

He gazed at that beautiful face, now marred by cuts and bruises. Reaching up with one hand, he caressed her cheek and thought about that gorgeous smile that always lit up a room, and lit up his life. What if he never saw that smile again? 

“Just open your eyes, baby,” he begged. “Please!” But he knew she couldn’t hear him.  

Kissing her hand and holding it to his cheek, he did the only thing he could. He prayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment