Friday, June 8, 2012

Chapter 9: A Night to Remember



Jasmine was looking forward to attending the film premier. It would be great to visit her alma mater and see some familiar faces from her time there. Plus, the event was semi-formal so it would be fun to get a little dressed up for a change instead of the sweats and t-shirts that had become the norm since the breakup. She’d spent the day shooting a magazine spread for People Magazine, which she was super excited about. It was a bright spot in what had been a rough couple of weeks.

I wonder what David’s doing tonight, she thought as she got dressed. She smiled as she thought about the Friday nights they would often spend together at the movies or doing something silly and fun like miniature golf or karaoke, or just talking. Closing her eyes she could almost hear his laugh, feel the warmth of his hands and his arms around her…She missed him so much.

It’s over Jasmine, she reminded herself. Put him out of your mind.

She was glad that she was off to Australia next week. The time away from LA and memories of David would be good for her, although she knew there was no way to run from a broken heart. Nevertheless, she looked forward to seeing the rest of her family and friends back home.

Edgar arrived promptly at 6:30 to pick her up since the event began at 7:00.

“Wow, you look great, Jas!” he said.

“Thanks! You don’t look so bad yourself. Who knew you cleaned up so well,” she joked, smiling. “Let’s go!”

As they were driving Edgar talked excitedly about attending UCLA in the fall.
“And tonight will be a great chance to meet some of the professors and students I’ll be working with,” he continued.

“You’ll love it,” Jasmine said. “I certainly did. Maybe I can introduce you to some people.”

A few minutes later they pulled up to the movie premiere. “Oh wow! I love it!” Jasmine exclaimed. It looked like the real thing, complete with a Red Carpet and “paparazzi.” Seeing it brought back memories of her own senior film premiere, though hers was not nearly as extravagant as this.

“Yeah, they really did it up!” said Edgar excitedly. “Red Carpet here we come!” He got out of the car and walked around to Jasmine’s side to open her door.

“Shall we, madam?” he asked, smiling and extending his arm.

“Yes, sir,” Jasmine said proudly. She took his arm and they made their way slowly down the Red Carpet. She had a feeling that this was going to be a fun night.
                                                     ______________________________

After the film Jasmine introduced Edgar to some familiar faces from her time there. It was great to see everyone again, especially her favorite teacher, Professor Brown.

“Jasmine!” said Professor Brown.

“Professor Brown! It’s so good to see you! How are you?” she asked.

“Great! How’s LA treating you these days? I thought you’d moved back to Australia” he said.

Jasmine hesitated. “Let’s just say it’s never dull. Professionally it’s been wonderful and I’ve gotten to do lots of great projects. I can’t complain.”

“Well, I’m glad to hear it. You always were such a bright student. Who’s this young man with you?” he asked, looking at Edgar.

“Oh, yes, I’d like you to meet my cousin Edgar. He’ll be a film major this fall,” said Jasmine proudly.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you,” he said, shaking Edgar’s hand.

“Likewise,” said Edgar. “Maybe I’ll have your class in the fall. Jasmine has told me what a great teacher you are.”

“Well, if you’re anything like your cousin it will be my pleasure,” he said smiling. “Again, great to meet you, Edgar.”

“And Jasmine, don’t be a stranger. Let’s have lunch sometime,” Professor Brown said.

“Yes, let’s do that. That would be great,” she said.

“Okay then. If you’ll excuse me…you two enjoy the rest of the evening,” he said.

“You too. See you later,” said Jasmine.

As Professor Brown walked away, Edgar asked, “So, what did you think of the film?”

“I liked it. I thought it was really interesting. What about you?” Jasmine asked.

“The visual effects were amazing and really innovative! I’m thinking that that’s the area I want to focus on,” said Edgar, grinning with excitement.

“I think you’d be wonderful Edgar! You’ve always been so very creative in that way."

“Really?” Edgar asked incredulously.

Jasmine laughed. “Yes, Edgar! Be confident. You’re so talented.”

“Thanks. Actually, I see one of the effects guys now. I think I’ll go chat with him for a moment, pick his brain. I’ll be back,” he said.

“Go ahead. Pick away,” she said, laughing. “I’m gonna mingle. See you in a bit.”

This had turned out to be a wonderful evening. She was so glad she’d come. The film had been amazing and she loved seeing Edgar so excited. They were now at the after party which was in the same building as the theater. For a few minutes Jasmine stood and watched. Everyone was having such a great time mingling and dancing to the live band. It reminded her of David and how they’d sometimes go dancing, although he always claimed that he wasn’t a good dancer.

“Hey, gorgeous. How about a dance?” said a gravelly voice from behind her.

She turned to see a nice looking guy with long dark hair grinning at her. She didn’t think he was one of the students but she wasn’t sure. He seemed nice enough but something about his smile and the way he was looking at her made her uncomfortable.

Smiling back at him she said, “Thanks, but I think I’m going to just watch for a while.” She turned back around.

“Come on. Just one dance,” he said, moving closer. It was then that she smelled the alcohol on his breath. 

Without turning around she said, “No, really, I’m fine. But, thank you!”

Suddenly she felt his fingers digging painfully into her arm.  He spun her around and she could see the wild look in his eyes.

“What are you doing?” she exclaimed, alarmed.

“I’m only asking for one dance,” he said angrily sneering at her. “Come on!”

“I said no! Let go! You’re hurting me!” she said, panicking.

“Get your hands off her!” 

That voice. Jasmine recognized it immediately. Slowly, Jasmine turned and came face to face with David.
                                                ______________________________

David couldn’t remember ever being this angry. He felt the blood rush to his face and his heart start to pound.

“I said take your hands off her. Now!” David yelled, his eyes flashing with anger.

“Or what?” said the stranger, glaring at David.

“I’m not telling you again,” said David in a calm voice that belied the storm brewing inside him.

Even in his drunken state the stranger knew that David was serious. He released his grip on Jasmine and held up his hands in mock surrender. “Alright then, she’s all yours,” the guy said with a smirk on his face.  “Enjoy.” With one last glare, he turned and left.

Relieved, David quickly turned his attention to Jasmine. “Are you okay?” he asked urgently, instinctively reaching out to touch the place where the stranger had grabbed her. He could see the red blotches that would probably turn into bruises and felt his anger start to return. “Looks like you might have some bruises later. He grabbed you pretty hard. Who was that jerk?”

“I don’t know,” Jasmine replied. She had been so afraid and was so grateful that David had shown up when he did. But now, she felt a shock go through her body at David’s touch. As she looked into his eyes she wondered if he felt it too. Still a bit rattled by the attack and by David, she said, “I’m okay. Thank you so much. I’m glad that you were here.”

“So am I,” he said, trying not to show what touching her had done to him. He missed her so much, even though he’d tried to fight it. That night at the restaurant he’d been so hurt and angry, but all of that melted away as he stood here with her now. She looked amazing. That blue dress, which he’d never seen her wear before, looked wonderful against her skin and brought out her eyes. He loved her hair. She’d worn it up and it was just stunning.  He couldn’t stop staring and his heart was racing. Before he could stop himself he said softly, “You’re so beautiful.”

“I'm sorry. I mean, um, you look nice tonight,” he said, trying to recover and dropping his hand. He could feel himself blushing. He felt like he was making a fool of himself. 

“You… don’t have to apologize,” Jasmine said, her heart racing.

Clearing his throat, he asked awkwardly, “So, uh, how have you been?”

“Okay. And you?” Jasmine replied.

“I’ve been…” He sighed. How could he tell her that he’d been miserable, that he thought of her constantly, and that he missed her so much it hurt? He couldn’t.

“I’ve been really busy finishing up the album and working on a couple of other projects. But, honestly, I need a break so I think I’m gonna head home for a couple of weeks. It’ll be good to see the family. What about you?” he said.

“I’ve been busy too. I actually did a photo shoot today for People,” she said smiling. “I’m so excited!”

“That’s awesome Jasmine!” David said grinning and genuinely happy for her. “You deserve it. I’m so proud of you.”

“Thanks,” she said. Oh boy, she thought to herself. That wonderful smile that she loved so much and those eyes. She felt herself getting lost in them and quickly looked away, hoping that he hadn’t noticed, but she could feel his stare.

“Jasmine, look at me,” he said softly, with confusion in his voice. Suddenly he reached out and touched her chin, gently turning her face toward him. His heart leapt as he looked at her. What was it that he saw in her eyes? Was it really over between them?

Surprised, Jasmine again felt a rush of emotion at his touch. She had to tell him how she felt.

“David, I…” she started.

“David, there you are!” Lisa exclaimed walking over to them. “I’ve been looking for you everywhere.” Then, seeing Jasmine she said, “Oh, am I interrupting something?”

Flustered, David immediately dropped his hand. “Uh, hi Lisa,” he said. “Jasmine, this is Lisa. She was in the film and did a lot of the voice overs.”

“Oh, yes, I recognize her from the film. You were great, Lisa,” said Jasmine, smiling and trying to hide the disappointment she felt. This was the girl from the restaurant.

“Well, I better go look for my date. Nice meeting you Lisa and thanks again for everything David,” she said, turning to leave.

“Jasmine, wait,” David said, reaching out his arm to stop her. What was she about to say before they were interrupted, he wondered. But instead he asked, “Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Yes. I’ll be fine. Enjoy your evening,” said Jasmine, turning to walk away. But as she left she couldn’t stop the tears that ran down her cheeks.
                                                _________________________________

For the rest of the evening David couldn’t keep his eyes off Jasmine. He had to make sure that creep didn’t return and that she was okay. There was no way he was going to allow her to be hurt again. He also couldn’t deny the attraction he still felt for her. A couple of times their eyes had met but she always looked away. She looked so beautiful to him and he was mesmerized. He found himself not being able to focus on much else but her.

“What’s the story with you and Jasmine?” Lisa asked as he drove her home later that evening.

“What do you mean?” asked David.

“‘What do I mean?!’” Lisa said, laughing and looking at him incredulously. “David, even a blind man could see that there’s something between you two. Spill it.”

David was hesitant. He and Lisa had gone out a few times over the last couple of weeks and although he considered her a friend, he didn’t want to say anything that might hurt her or make her uncomfortable. She seemed to read his mind.

“David, we’re friends, right? You won’t hurt my feelings. I promise,” she said, smiling gently.

Feeling relieved, David told Lisa all that had happened between he and Jasmine, even the events of that night. It felt great to talk about all he was thinking and feeling.

“I’m so sorry that I was so distracted tonight,” he said apologetically. “I just didn’t expect to see her there and then when I saw that guy I couldn’t help myself.”

“Its okay, David. I understand. Really, I do,” she said sympathetically. “So, why don’t you tell her how you feel?”

“I can’t,” said David. “She’s dating someone else now. She’s moved on.”

“Well, from the way you two were looking at each other I think you may still have a lot to talk about,” she said.

“Really? You think so?” David asked hesitantly.

“Yes, I do. But why not find out? What are you afraid of?” 

After thinking for a few seconds he responded. “Being hurt again. To be honest, I don't know if I could handle that. I'm not sure if I can take a chance again."

“Well, I've never been in love but I hear that it's worth the risk. Anyway, I’m here if you need to talk,” said Lisa reassuringly.

“Thanks Lisa,” David said smiling. “You’re awesome.”

No comments:

Post a Comment