Friday, June 8, 2012

Chapter 8: Surprise Party


“Surprise!!” everyone yelled.

Seeing the stunned look on her father’s face, Jasmine laughed and rushed to hug him. “Happy birthday, Dad!” she said. “Surprised?”

“Wow! Jasmine,” he said, “how did you do this?!” He slowly made his way through the door and into her living room.

“Well, I had a little help,” she said, smiling and looking at Edgar.

“I thought I was coming over to cheer you up and this is the thanks I get,” he teased. “And Edgar, I thought you had a hot date tonight. Am I it?”

“Yep, Uncle. I guess you’ll have to do,” Edgar joked.

They all laughed as Jasmine’s father proceeded to greet and mingle with all of his closest friends and colleagues. Jasmine and Edgar looked at each other. They had managed to pull off a surprise party for someone who was notoriously impossible to surprise. In fact it was a running joke in their family. But, looking at his face Jasmine could tell that he was genuinely shocked.

“Whoa,” said Jasmine, pretending to wipe sweat from her brow.

“We actually pulled it off,” said Edgar, equally relieved.

“It was definitely hard work but it was worth it,” Jasmine said. “I’m glad that he’s enjoying himself. “

She couldn’t help but smile seeing her father so happy. As she stood watching him, he turned to look at her. Walking over to her he said, “You are incredible. You managed to pull one over on your dear old Dad and I love it. Thanks, kiddo.”

“You’re welcome, Dad. You deserve it. You work so hard but you need to have some fun too, especially on your birthday. I know how much you love parties."

“How are you holding up?” he asked, concerned.

Taking a deep breath she said, “I’m okay. Planning this for you has actually helped a lot to take my mind off of everything.”

That evening at the restaurant had really thrown Jasmine for a loop. She’d felt as if her world was turned upside down and she was holding on for dear life. The realization that she’d truly lost the love of her life was devastating. Later that night she’d been so distraught that she couldn’t sleep.  Scenes from the restaurant and from the break up kept playing over and over in her mind. If I could only take it back, she thought painfully. Tears soaked her pillow that night and many nights since. Lately she’d been trying to throw herself into her work and stay busy during the day, but she often found herself dreading the nights.

“I’m glad to hear that Jasmine. I’ve been worried about you,” her father said. “I know it’s hard to believe right now, but it will get better. It really will."

Jasmine looked up at him with tears in her eyes. “Thanks Dad. I hope so,” she said, trying to muster a smile.
                                                      __________________________________

Later that night after the party, Edgar and Jasmine were cleaning up. The evening had been a success and everyone, especially the guest of honor, had had a great time.

“Edgar thanks so much for helping me put all this together. I could never have done it without you,” said Jasmine.

“That’s what cousins are for. I’m just glad your Dad had a good time,” said Edgar, smiling. “Hey, I’ve been meaning to ask you – are you free next Friday night? There’s a student film premier at UCLA that I was invited to and I need a date.”

“Why Edgar are you asking me out?” Jasmine said with mock surprise.

“Yes, I am. Would you do me the honor?” he asked.

“Of course! Besides, it’s better than sitting at home feeling sorry for myself, which has become my custom lately. It’ll be a nice change of pace."

“Exactly,” Edgar said, laughing with her. “But seriously, you’ll have a great time, Jas. I promise.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment