Saturday, June 16, 2012

Chapter 17: Island of Romance


“Oh, my gosh! Can you believe we just did that?” David exclaimed, as they finished their dive.
“It was amazing! So beautiful!” said Jasmine.
“Yeah,” agreed Lisa. “Of course you see pictures but they don’t compare to actually being in the ocean and among all the amazing marine life — the beautiful fish and gorgeous coral reefs. I can’t believe we actually saw sharks!”
“Definitely something we have to do again! Incredible!” said Edgar.
Earlier that morning the four of them had boarded a ferry to Catalina Island. Just a short trip from the city, they knew it would be an ideal location for their scuba diving adventure. The island was certainly beautiful, with almost crystal clear water and white sand. It was the perfect day for scuba diving and they’d looked forward to spending the weekend together.
Once they were dressed they decided to go sightseeing, as there was a lot to do on the island – from fishing and Para sailing to ghost tours and wildlife viewing. After checking out some museums and shops, they decided to go on an island scavenger hunt, which kept them occupied for most of the afternoon.
Later that evening they had dinner at one of the outdoor restaurants on the beach. It was a beautiful evening as the sun began to set and they could see dolphins in the distance.
“What a wonderful day,” said Jasmine, smiling at David as they finished their meal.
“Yeah, it was, and there’s more tomorrow,” David said, putting his arm around Jasmine.
“I can’t believe there’s so much to do here,” Lisa said. “I mean, you really could spend a week here.”
Gazing at her and taking her hand, Edgar said, “I’m sure we’ll be back.”
David and Jasmine looked at each other and smiled. It was wonderful to see them together.
“What?” asked Edgar quizzically.
“Oh, nothing,” said David, grinning. Edgar laughed.
A short time later, they finished their meal and walked out onto the beach.
“Wow…I can’t believe how beautiful the island is,” said Jasmine, looking out at the ocean and enjoying the warm breeze.
“Neither can I. It’s pretty amazing…but then so is the company,” said David, walking up from behind and wrapping his arms around her.
“I agree,” Jasmine said, laying her head back against his chest.
“I love you,” said David, kissing her on the cheek.
“I love you too,” said Jasmine, smiling.
Edgar cleared his throat. “Alright, alright you two,” he joked. “Did you forget about us?”
“Of course not,” Jasmine responded, smiling and raising an eyebrow. “Though, I must say that you two have been in your own little world for a while now.”
Lisa laughed. “Guilty as charged,” she quipped, gazing at Edgar.
“Well, they say this is the ‘Island of Romance,’” said David, smiling. “I guess we’ve all fallen under its spell.”
“Something like that,” said Jasmine, as they all laughed.
“Well,” said Edgar, taking Lisa’s hand, “I think we’re going to go for a walk.”
“Okay,” said Jasmine. Have fun you guys. See you back at the room Lisa.”
__________________________________
A short time later, as David and Jasmine walked along the shore, they could hear music playing from one of the beachside restaurants.

“You know, today has really got me thinking about our bucket list. What do you say we continue with it?” asked Jasmine excitedly.
“Well…I guess that’s fine but do you remember what was next?” David asked hesitantly.
“Of course, skydiving,” said Jasmine, grinning. “Let’s go for it! I know we’re both working the next few weekends but maybe after that.”
David was shocked. Was she really serious? “Jasmine, I don’t think that’s a good idea after the accident and everything. I don’t feel comfortable with that,” he said.
“I know it sounds crazy, but it’s just something I’ve always wanted to do,” said Jasmine.
Pausing, David replied, “Jasmine the thought of you jumping out of a plane…I almost lost you and it’s just not worth it to me.”
Jasmine could see the concern on his face. She smiled softly and put her palm to his cheek. “Sweetie, I understand that you’re worried, but this is different. And besides, I can’t spend the rest of my life afraid, because of the accident. I've wasted too much time letting fear get in the way of so many things."
“Well, baby, I’m sorry. I just can’t be okay with it. I just can’t,” said David sadly.
Jasmine sighed. “Alright,” she said reluctantly. “I won't do it since it makes you so uncomfortable. I understand."
“Do you?” asked David, seeing her disappointment.
Lovingly, she returned his gaze and smiled. “Of course. How can I not when you’re looking at me like that, with those puppy dog eyes?”
In the distance, they could hear a Jason Mraz song drift out into the warm night air.
He smiled. “Dance with me,” he said suddenly, pulling her close.
“Hmm…it seems we’ve been doing a lot of that lately,” she teased.
“I can’t help myself,” he said, drawing her even closer to him. “I guess being with you brings out the Gene Kelly in me.”
They began to dance slowly. “When I look into your eyes…” he sang softly, and as he continued to sing to her, he lifted her chin and looked into her eyes and at that beautiful face that he loved so much. As he held her, he felt a swell of emotion.
Gazing at him, Jasmine felt tears come to her eyes as she thought of all they’d been through and how they’d been given another chance. She was so grateful that he hadn’t given up…even when she'd done all she could to push him away. As a tear fell, he wiped it from her cheek and kissed the spot where it had been. Then, he gently kissed her lips.
“Have I told you lately that I love you?” he said softly.
Smiling, Jasmine could feel her heart racing. “I think I need to hear it again.”
“I love you,” he said, kissing her once more.

1 comment:

  1. I Cant wait for the next chapter. Thanks for a chapter full of *Kilig* moments :)))))

    ReplyDelete