Friday, June 8, 2012

Chapter 3: Love Reaffirmed

"Dad, it's so good to see you!" Jasmine said, hugging her father.



It was Saturday afternoon and she'd decided to visit her father. With their busy schedules they didn't get to see each other often and she missed spending time with him. He was happy to see her and they spent the afternoon having lunch and catching up. 

"So, guess who I ran into yesterday?" he said as they were finishing their meal.

"Who?"

"David."

Jasmine swallowed. "Oh, really?" She tried to keep her tone nonchalant but she knew her father wasn't fooled.  It had been a few months since they'd broken up and as much as she tried to push it from her mind, she missed him desperately. She knew now that when she'd walked away she'd left a part of herself with him.  She'd lost her best friend.

"How is he?"

Her father gave her a knowing look. "About as good as you are." He paused. "I know you don't like to talk about him but let me ask you one question."

"What?"

"Do you still love him?"

She reluctantly looked at him and unshed tears blurred her vision. "You know I do," she said.

"Then go to him and tell him."

"I can't, Dad. It's not that simple. You know that!"

"What I know is that you're miserable without him and he without you. I also know that you can't live your life based on what happened with your mom and I. Love is about taking chances and not letting fear get the best of you. Even though things didn't work out with your mom and I, I don't regret it. That's what life is about."

For a moment, she contemplated his words. As she thought about her and David's relationship she realized that her desire to be with him far outweighed her fear of what could happen in the future. She was bewildered as to when this change had happened in her heart but somewhere along the way it had. As the realization hit her, she painfully regretted walking out on him, on love. Suddenly she wanted nothing more than to see David and to tell him that she loved him, but still there was fear.

"What if he can't forgive me?" she said. "How can he after what I did?" The thought brought more sadness than she could have imagined and she sobbed.

He put his arm around her. "Sweetheart, what if he can forgive you? You'll never know unless you take a chance and open your heart to him." 

After a moment she looked up at him with red, puffy eyes. “Thanks, Dad."

“That’s what I'm here for,” he said smiling.

“I think there’s someone I need to talk to,” Jasmine said, returning his smile. She stood up and hugged him. “I’ll call you later.”

She grabbed her purse to leave, hardly able to contain her joy at the thought of seeing David. She hoped that he would forgive her and that they would be together again. But, just as she was about to turn the knob, there was a knock at the door.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Keisa (Ksf)! Thank you for compiling your work! I'm a newbie and have been visiting FOD since January of this year. Since you started your Javid saga I have always looked at the comments section for a new episode. You are a great writer! You make the scenes you write about come to life...I hope you continue writing and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks TGR Archie! I'm so glad that you've enjoyed it and I really appreciate for your well-wishes. Thanks for visiting the site!

    ReplyDelete