Monday, June 11, 2012

Chapter 16: A Night for Romance



“David, where are we going?!” Jasmine asked, laughing. She’d been blindfolded ever since he’d picked her up for their date.

“We’re almost there…just a few more steps,” said David, holding her hand and guiding her.

It had been a little over six weeks since the accident and Jasmine had made great progress in her recovery. She’d recently moved back to her own apartment and tonight was she and David’s first real date since they’d reunited.

Now, David was leading her to a surprise location. “Dress up and be ready at 7:00,” was all he’d said. She looked lovely, wearing a strapless black sundress and red sandals.

“Okay,” said David, removing her blindfold. “We’re here.”

“Oh, David!” she said, hugging him. “This is wonderful! How did you do this? I knew that we rode on an elevator but I had no idea!” They were on a rooftop, overlooking all of Los Angeles.

“A good friend of mine lives here and set it up for us,” said David, smiling.

“Wow…the view is unbelievable,” she said, looking around and taking it all in. It was breathtaking.

“Yes, it is,” said David, taking her hand. “We’ve got a lot to celebrate: your recovery, us being together again…I just wanted to do something special for you.”

“Well, this is amazing…I’m almost speechless. Thank you,” she said, smiling and squeezing his hand.

“So, shall we eat?” asked David.

“Eat?” said Jasmine, confused. It was then that she noticed the dinner table set for two with yellow tulips, her favorite flower, as the center piece. “Yes! Wow! I didn’t notice,” she said laughing. “I guess I was a little distracted. The tulips are beautiful!”


David led her to the table and pulled out her chair. Suddenly, a waiter approached with their meal. She’d been so taken with the view that she also hadn’t noticed the waiter standing by the rooftop entrance.

“David! This is amazing...I don’t know what to say,” she exclaimed.

“Filet mignon?” she teased. “Wow, fancy! No Thai?”

David laughed. “I thought you might appreciate something different,” he said.

“It looks delicious,” she said, smiling.

“Will there be anything else?” asked the waiter.

“No, thank you,” said David, smiling.

“Thank you,” said Jasmine.

David couldn’t help gazing at her. It felt so great to be here tonight. Things had been wonderful between them, even better than they were before the breakup. Being apart for all those months and the accident had brought them even closer together, and they were happier than they had ever been.

“I’m so excited about going scuba diving tomorrow!” she said excitedly.

“So am I,” David agreed. “I’ve wanted to for a long time. And plus, it’ll be fun to hang out with Edgar and Lisa.”

Jasmine giggled. “I still can’t believe how that happened. Who knew?” she said.

“Yeah, I didn’t even realize that they’d met during the film premiere and really hit it off…guess I was a little, um, preoccupied,” David said, grinning.  “And then, when he invited Lisa to your Dad’s house for dinner, it all came together. She had no idea that he was your cousin either. These last couple of months have been confusing, to say the least.”

“Well, Lisa’s great. I think she’s perfect for Edgar. They have so much in common and I’m glad that she and I have gotten to know each other. I really like her,” said Jasmine.

“She feels the same about you,” said David. “And I think you’re right about them. Edgar’s a pretty cool guy.”

Jasmine laughed. “Yeah, you two are like two peas in a pod now,” she said. “It’s good to see you getting along so well.”

“It’s been great,” said David. Pausing, and reaching across to touch her arm, he asked, “Are you sure you’re up for tomorrow? I mean, I know you’ve healed quickly and the doctor okayed everything but…I don’t know…”

“David, I’m fine. I feel as good as I did before the accident. No need to worry,” she said reassuringly. “Besides, you’ll be right there with me.”

“You’re right. I sure will,” he said, smiling.

As they were eating, the sun began to set, creating an even more beautiful backdrop for this celebratory evening. They could hear music through the outdoor speakers and tea lights lit up the rooftop as the sun descended in the evening sky.

“I love this old song!” said Jasmine, as Frank Sinatra’s “Fly Me To The Moon” began to play. “My mom would always play it when I was a little girl.”

 “Shall we dance?” David asked, pushing his chair away from the table and holding out his hand.

“I’d love to,” said Jasmine, smiling and standing up to take his hand.

“…you are all I long for…all I worship and adore…” crooned Sinatra.

Taking both her hands in his, David pulled her close to him and put his arm around her waist. I should be used to them by now, Jasmine thought to herself, mesmerized by his beautiful eyes. Then, suddenly, he dipped her. “David!” cried Jasmine, throwing her head back in laughter.

“Not a dancer, huh?” she teased.

“I’ve got a couple of moves…like this,” he said, twirling her around and laughing at her surprised reaction. Grinning, he pulled her close to him again.

“You are amazing,” said Jasmine, gazing at him. “Thanks for a wonderful evening.”

“It’s my pleasure,” he said, smiling and caressing her cheek, as Sinatra’s last line echoed in the night air: “…In other words...I love you….”

No comments:

Post a Comment