Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Chapter 19: Heart's Desire

“What a match!” said Lisa, hi-fiving Jasmine.

“What was the score again, guys?” Jasmine asked, feigning confusion.

“Twenty-one to sixteen,” mumbled Edgar.

“What? I didn’t catch that,” Jasmine replied, looking at Lisa.

“Twenty-one to sixteen,” David answered, smiling. “But, at a future date there should definitely be a rematch since one of us was playing injured.”

Jasmine and Lisa looked at each other and laughed.

“Injured?” Jasmine asked incredulously.

“Yes,” said David. “I got a cramp.”

The girls laughed harder. “I don’t think that qualifies as an ‘injury,’” said Lisa.

“Sure it does,” said David, laughing.

Smiling, Edgar said, “You’re right, bro. There definitely needs to be a rematch. You ladies kicked our butts. You have to give us a chance to redeem ourselves.”

“We’ll discuss it and get back to you,” said Lisa, grinning at him.

After breakfast they’d gone hiking. It was great to explore the rolling hills and amazing ocean views from the trail. After hiking for about an hour they’d arrived at a point where they could almost see the entire island. It had been breathtaking. Afterwards, they were exhausted and decided to eat lunch and relax on the beach before beginning their volleyball match that evening.

 “Alright guys,” said Edgar, taking Lisa’s hand. I think we’ll head out now. We’ve got to pack if we want to make the last ferry back to the city.”

“Ah, okay.  Lisa, I wish you two could stay one more night,” said Jasmine, sadly.

“So do I. If it weren’t for my school exam in the morning I would,” said Lisa. “It’s been great though.”

“Well, we’ll be back tomorrow afternoon. I’ll call you to see how it went,” said Jasmine hugging her. “Talk to you then. See you later, cuz.”

“Okay, Jas,” said Edgar, smiling. “See you, David.”

“Bye,” said Jasmine and David, waving as Lisa and Edgar turned and made their way back to the hotel.
_____________________________

A while later, after dinner, David and Jasmine walked along the beach.

“Come here, you,” said David playfully, pulling Jasmine into his arms.

“What?” asked Jasmine, smiling.

“Why didn’t you tell me you were a beach volleyball phenom?” he asked, tweaking her nose.

Jasmine giggled. “Probably because I didn’t know. Actually, Lisa’s the one who’s the phenom. Did you see those shots?”

“I did, but you weren’t too shabby yourself,” said David.

“Ah, thanks sweetie,” she said. “I thought you were great too…injury and all.”
David laughed.

“So, where was this cramp exactly?” asked Jasmine.

“Was it here?” she asked, poking him in his side. “Or here?” she continued, poking him on his arm.

“No, actually it was here,” he replied poking her in her arm. “And…here,” he continued, trying to tickle her on her side.

Laughing, Jasmine began to run, David chasing her. As he got closer, she turned and screamed with laughter. 

“David! No! You know how ticklish I am,” she exclaimed.

“Oh, really?” he said playfully, catching up to her and grabbing her. As he did, he tripped and fell, taking Jasmine down with him. They tumbled to the ground in a heap.

“You okay?” he asked, as they both began to sit up.

“Yeah,” said Jasmine, still laughing.

Looking at her he grinned. “You have sand…” he started, brushing sand from her hair. His words trailed off as he found himself lost in her eyes. His hand moved to her cheek, and then to her lips as he studied her face. Gazing at her he couldn’t help but think how beautiful she was. Slowly, he leaned forward and kissed her. Gently, at first, but then growing more urgent and passionate as he felt her respond. His hand moved to her hair again and then to her back as he pulled her even closer to him. I don’t want to let go, he thought, his kisses growing more intense.

Suddenly, he felt her pulling away. Slowly coming to his senses, he saw the look of confusion on her face that mirrored what he was feeling inside.

“I’m sorry,” he said, almost at a loss for words.

“It’s okay…” said Jasmine, still shocked. “It’s just that you’ve never looked at me…you’ve never kissed me like that before.”

“Yeah, I don’t know what got into me. I should not have done that,” he said apologetically.

“No, David,” Jasmine said, taking his hand. “It’s okay. What we’re feeling is normal. You don’t have to apologize.”

“It is, but, I don’t want us to cross that line…not yet,” he said, looking at her closely. “I know it’s important to both of us.”

Jasmine nodded her head in agreement. “Yes, it is,” she said. Then pausing, she smiled and said “At least one of us is thinking spiritually.”

“Believe me…if you only knew,” replied David, sighing. “Thank you for understanding.”

“David, of course. I love you. We’re in this together,” she said, squeezing his hand reassuringly.

“I love you too, “said David, standing and helping her up. “Come on. It’s getting late. I’ll walk you back to the hotel.”

No comments:

Post a Comment