Friday, June 8, 2012

Chapter 14: Together Again


“That’s awesome! When?” David asked as they began walking back to Jasmine’s room.

“Just a little while ago. The doctor is with her now,” Edgar said.

“Thanks for coming to get me,” David said appreciatively. “I’m so relieved she’s awake.”

“She’ll be so happy to see you,” said Edgar, smiling. “We didn’t tell her that you were here. We thought it’d be a great surprise for her.”

“Okay,” replied David, his anticipation building.

As they made their way down the hall David was overjoyed and so very grateful. Thank you Father, he prayed silently. His heart was racing and there were so many thoughts running through his head. Would she remember the accident? What was her prognosis? And then an even more frightening thought: What if she didn’t remember him? She’d sustained a serious head injury and he knew that it was a possibility. But, just as quickly, he dismissed it from his mind. He knew that whatever the situation, he’d be there. Even if it meant starting over.

They neared the room just as the doctor was leaving and as they got closer David could hear James’ voice. Once they arrived, Edgar walked in and, after a brief pause, David slowly followed. Looking at Jasmine, he suddenly felt a flood of emotion. She was lying back, obviously weakened but talking softly. Although she still looked fragile and small, those beautiful eyes still took his breath away. He was overwhelmed with joy and relief. When she saw David, she gasped in surprise, tears coming to her eyes.

“I’m just going to step out for a while,” said James, smiling and making his way towards the door. But neither of them heard him.

“David?” she said, her voice barely above a whisper. “I…” she started, but was at a loss for words. By this time, the tears that had been threatening were spilling over and David moved to her bedside.

“Jasmine,” he said softly, smiling through his tears. For a few moments neither of them spoke, their eyes expressing what their words could not. David gently took her hand.

“I…I didn’t know you were here,” Jasmine whispered. “I thought I dreamt it. I just knew that I felt your touch and heard your voice…but you were here!”

“Where else would I be?” said David. “I couldn’t leave you, Jasmine. I never want to leave you.” Leaning over, he wiped the tears from her cheeks and looked intently into her eyes. “I’ve been waiting so long to say this…I love you so much. I’ve missed you."

“David,” said Jasmine, putting her hand to his cheek. “I love you too. I’m so sorry for leaving you, for hurting you. For so long I’ve wished that I could take it back. I just want to be with you. I’ve missed you so much. That night at the premiere I wanted to tell you but I thought it was too late.”

David smiled sadly. “That’s funny. I thought the same thing about you. I thought you were dating Edgar,” he said laughing.

Jasmine’s eyes widened in shock. She laughed. “Really?” she said. “Why would you think that?”

“I saw you two at the beach. The way that you were talking and so comfortable with each other…I just assumed,” he said ruefully. “Then, later I saw you at Thai Palace. I was a mess.”

“Is that why you didn’t call me back?” she asked. He could tell how much it still hurt her.

“No. I never heard your message,” he said sadly. “That night at the beach I lost my phone. I didn’t notice until the next morning.” He paused, looking at her attentively. “But the strangest thing happened. Your message suddenly appeared today, after all this time! I believe God knew that I needed to hear your voice.”

Gently squeezing her hand he said, “Jasmine, there’s never been anyone else but you. There’s no moving on without you. I’m so sorry that it took me so long to tell you how I felt. Maybe if I had this wouldn’t have happened.” Jasmine could hear the pain and regret in his voice.

Smiling softly at him she said, “I know that everything happens for a reason, David.” She paused briefly, blinking away tears. “You know, I don’t remember much of the accident but I do remember being so afraid, especially that I’d never see you again, afraid that you wouldn’t know how much I loved you. And now, God has given us a second chance, a chance that I thought was gone forever. I won’t let you slip away this time. I love you David,” she said, looking at him with her heart in her eyes.

“I love you Jasmine,” said David, gently raising her hand to his lips. “I love you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment