Friday, June 8, 2012

Chapter 11: The Accident


The next afternoon Edgar drove Jasmine to the airport. She still had a couple of hours before her flight so she planned to grab breakfast.

“Thanks, Edgar,” she said as they pulled up to the airport.

“You’re welcome. Have a great trip and say hello to your mom and brother for me,” said Edgar, helping her take her luggage from the car.

“I will,” Jasmine said, smiling. “See you soon. Love you, cuz!”

Giving him one last hug, she turned and made her way into the airport.
                                                __________________________________

Ever since Jasmine was a little girl, she’d always loved to fly. She would often fly from Australia to LA or to the Philippines to visit friends or to visit her father. As a child she was fascinated by the feeling of flying in the clouds and how everything looked so small from the air. She always felt like she was on top of the world. As she grew older she appreciated the time to clear her head or to think about things that were going on in her life at that time. But now, as she prepared to board her flight, she was dreading the thing that she had always looked forward to before. There would be too much of it, too much time for her mind to wander. Fourteen and a half hours to be exact. Oh well, she thought. Maybe I can catch up on some rest or watch a movie. Anything to keep my mind off David.
                                               ___________________________________

That same afternoon, David stood in front of Jasmine’s door, his heart pounding in his ears. He didn’t think he’d ever been this anxious before. On the drive over he’d tried to think about what he’d say but none of it sounded right. Finally, he’d decided to just speak from his heart. He hoped that the right words would come.

Taking a deep breath he knocked on her door. When there was no answer, he knocked again. Waiting a few minutes he knocked a third time to no avail. Disappointed, he wondered where she might be. He’d wanted to talk with her face to face but maybe he would call her and they could meet up somewhere. So, with a lump in his throat he dialed her number. It went straight to voicemail. That’s strange, he thought, but maybe she’s at a shoot.

By this time he was desperate to talk to her. I can’t let another day go by, he thought anxiously. As he headed back to his car he thought about the one person who he hoped would be able to help him – her father.
                                                ___________________________________

Ten minutes later David arrived at his house.  “David?” her father exclaimed. “It’s been a while! Come in!”

“Hi, Mr. Smith,” said David, walking into the house. “Yeah, it has been. How are you?”

“I’m great. And call me James. I think we know each other well enough,” he said, laughing. “How are you?”

“Well, honestly, right now I’m desperate,” David said anxiously. “I’m trying to find Jasmine. Do you happen to know where she might be?”

“Oh, I see. Well, she actually just left this afternoon going home for a few weeks."

David felt his heart sink. “Oh, really,” he said, trying not to show just how disappointed he was.

“Yes. Have you tried calling?” James asked.

“I have but it just goes to voicemail,” David replied. “And actually, um, what I need to say…I need to say in person.”

James nodded his head in understanding.  After a moment he said, “Hmm…I understand. Well, you know, Australia is beautiful this time of year. You up for a trip?” he asked with a glint in his eye.

Grinning, David looked at him. “Yeah, I am,” he said.

“Her flight is probably boarding right about now but I happen to know that there’s another one in a couple of hours. If you hurry you might just make it,” he said, returning David’s smile.

Feeling hopeful again, David said, “Thanks so much, James.  I promise I’ll do everything I can to make her happy.”

“I know you will, David. I know,” said James, smiling. “Good luck.”
                                               ______________________________

An hour later, David was riding in a cab on his way to the airport. After talking to James he’d rushed back to his place to quickly collect his things. Good thing I’m already packed, he thought. He’d called his mom on the way to let her know about the change of plans. As always she was supportive and understanding and wished him the best. She’d always liked Jasmine and was excited to think that they might be together again.

Wow, this is really happening. By this time tomorrow I’ll be able to see Jasmine again and tell her how much I’ve missed her, he thought. He was at once anxious and excited. What would she say? Would she be happy to see him? How would it feel to hold her in his arms again? The anticipation was almost too much. He looked at his phone to check the time. About sixteen and a half hours left until he saw her. Suddenly he wished that time would speed up.

Just then, his phone rang. It was James.

“Hi James,” David said.

“David, where are you right now?” he asked urgently.

“I’m on my way to the airport,” David said excitedly. “I should get there in time to catch the flight!”

“Then, you haven’t heard the news?” he asked.

“No. What news? What’s going on?” David asked, suddenly feeling uneasy.

His voice breaking James said, “David, there’s been an accident at the airport. It’s Jasmine. She’s been hurt.”

No comments:

Post a Comment