Friday, June 29, 2012

Chapter 21: A Wonderful Surprise


“Hey, gorgeous!” David said as Jasmine opened the door.

“David!” Jasmine exclaimed, hugging him. “I’ve missed you so much.”

“I’ve missed you too,” he said, closing his eyes and savoring the feel of her in his arms.

Pulling away slightly, Jasmine gazed up at him. “I feel like I haven’t seen you in forever, even though it’s only been a couple of weeks,” she said, eagerly perusing his face.

“Any time away from you feels like forever,” said David, giving her a quick kiss. “You ready to go?”

“Yes!” said Jasmine excitedly. “Just let me grab my purse. I’ll be right back.”

It’s been a long couple of weeks, David thought, as he waited for Jasmine to return. He’d been busy traveling with promotion for the album. Even though they’d talked on the phone, it had still been hard not seeing each other. A few weeks ago they’d decided to go white water rafting when he returned, along with Edgar and Lisa. Today couldn’t come fast enough, thought David. Seeing Jasmine felt like a breath of fresh air.

“Okay, I’m ready,” said Jasmine, walking out of her apartment.

“Let’s go,” said David, taking her hand.
________________________________

“I can’t believe how excited I am about today,” said Jasmine as they were driving.

“So am I,” said David. “It should be fun.”

“Yeah,” said Jasmine. “And the weather couldn’t be more perfect. It’s a great day to go rafting.”

“It’s perfect,” David agreed, smiling. “We should be there soon.”

The hour long drive was beautiful and scenic, with winding roads and phenomenal views of the ocean. As they talked and caught up with what had gone on with them for the past couple of weeks, the mood was festive and light. They were so thrilled to be together that it was almost as if they’d never been apart. 

“Here we are,” said David, pulling into a large parking lot with a huge building in the center.

“Are you sure this is the right place?” asked Jasmine. “There aren’t many people here.”

“Yeah, this is it,” said David, smiling. “Are you ready?”

“Shouldn’t we wait for Edgar and Lisa?” she asked. “I know that Lisa was flying back in this afternoon so maybe they’re running late. I’ll call her,” she said, reaching for her phone.

“They’re not coming,” said David.

“What? Why not?” asked Jasmine, confused.

“Because Edgar is afraid of heights,” David said, chuckling.

“Huh? I mean, he is, but…what do heights have to do with white water rafting?” she asked, even more confused.

“We’re not going rafting,” he said, taking her hand.

“Then...what are we doing?” asked Jasmine, hesitantly.

“Skydiving,” said David.

“Skydiving? Are you serious?” asked Jasmine incredulously.

“Yes, I am,” said David grinning.

“Oh, David!” she exclaimed, throwing her arms around him in excitement. “What made you change your mind?”

“You,” he said lovingly. “I thought about what you said about not being afraid for the rest of your life because of the accident and about how much it means to you. I’m sorry that I tried to hold you back because of my own fear. I always want you to go after your dreams, big or small. I’m just glad I can be here to share them with you.”

Looking at him adoringly she said, “Thank you. I love you.”

“I love you too, baby,” he said. “So, shall we go?”

“Yes. I’m ready,” said Jasmine.
_____________________________
Jasmine was giddy with excitement as she and David were getting suited up in their skydiving gear. I can’t believe this is finally happening, she thought. They’d spent about an hour going through training and now the moment had arrived.

“Can you believe we’re actually doing this?” she asked, grinning with excitement.

David laughed. “It’s a little surreal. I’m actually a bit more nervous than I thought I’d be. Is it too late to turn around?” he joked.

Hugging him, Jasmine smiled sympathetically.  “Oh, sweetie, there’s nothing to worry about. It’s going to be amazing! You’ll see,” she said reassuringly.

“I can’t believe we get to go barefoot!” she said. “I never imagined that.”

“Yeah, I thought it’d be cool to land on the beach,” said David.

“Ah, thank you so much for this sweetie,” said Jasmine. “I’m so excited!”

Looking at her, David felt his nervousness disappear. “I can tell,” he said, laughing. Then, caressing her cheek he said, “I love that smile of yours. You’re welcome.”

Moments later, they boarded the plane and began their 12,000 foot adventure in the sky.


No comments:

Post a Comment